We all want to be healthy in 2019 and a great way to tackle that issue is living the vegan lifestyle, which many celebrities seem to be embracing. Because of the increasing popularity, we are giving you this Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe, which of course has no pork in it!
So, where does that “meat” come from for the vegan recipe? Well, it’s none other than jackfruit, which is mixed together with some BBQ sauce and spices to give it that kick and taste of a regular pulled pork sandwich, but without all the guilt!
Check out the Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe below!
- ½ kilo Unripe jackfruit (langka), seeded and sliced
- 2 Tbsps Coconut sugar
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 1 cup Store-bought American-style barbecue sauce
- 5 Hamburger buns (preferably whole-wheat)
- 10 Lettuce leaves
- In a pan of boiling water, cook the langka for 20 minutes or until it is tender.
- Then drain and squeeze the langka with your hands in order to remove the excess water.
- Now pat dry with a clean towel and place the langka in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss in the coconut sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, salt and ground black pepper with the langka.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil using a non-stick casserole.
- Then saute the langka for about 2-3 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Now add in the barbecue sauce and let it simmer for five minutes.
- Once simmered, turn the heat off and use two forks to shred the langka.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat up the remaining oil.
- Once heated, saute the shredded langka mixture for about five minutes or until it is slightly toasted.
- Now toast the hamburger buns and use about 1/3 cup of the vegan pulled “pork” in each bun and top it with a lettuce leaf.
Source: Pinoy Appetite