If you are looking to experiment and try something new, this tokneneng recipe is perfect for you. Tokneneng is a popular street food in the Philippines, so bring the streets into your home!
If you’ve never heard of tokneneng, it is a hard-boiled chicken egg that is dipped in an orange colored flour batter. It is street food, so you know these eggs are deep fried, which no one is complaining about, right? They are served with a sweet and sour sauce, so it is a perfect appetizer for an upcoming party!
An alternative to this recipe is using quail eggs. If you use them, the dish is called kwek-kwek instead. You can check out the recipe below!
- 12 eggs
- Oil for deep frying
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch, plus more as needed
- Bamboo skewer
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- red and yellow food coloring
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and over with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Let the eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the hot water and cool under cold running water.
- Peel the eggs.
- In a saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and soy sauce. Heat over medium heat while stirring until the brown sugar has dissolved (about 5 minutes).
- Stir the sauce and let cool.
- Prepare the batter by adding a few drops of the red and yellow food coloring to the water. You will want a deep orange color.
- Combine the flour with salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour this into the orange water and stir until there are no lumps.
- In a wok, heat the oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Gently roll the eggs in cornstarch to coat. Shake off any excess cornstarch.
- Dip the eggs into the orange batter until they are fully covered.
- Poke the eggs with a bamboo skewer and drop the egg into the hot oil.
- Deep fry the eggs until the batter is crispy, about 2 minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs and drain on paper towels.
- Gently roll eggs in cornstarch to coat and shake off excess cornstarch. Dip into orange batter so they are fully covered. Poke eggs with the bamboo skewer and drop into the hot oil. Deep fry until the batter is crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.