This pork sisig recipe is a popular street food dish in the Philippines and gaining popularity abroad as it is getting recognition from celebrity chefs like Anthony Bourdain. This sizzling and crispy pork recipe is a perfect dish for casual hangouts with friends and family.
There are variations on how to cook this dish. All of them equally delicious. Some pork sisig recipes involve adding chicken liver and some add pork ears. I cooked this sisig dish as simple as possible with minimal ingredients involve. You can always experiment and add on to this recipe.
If you are unfamiliar to sisig, I want to tell you that this dish is on the spicy side. However, you can always adjust the amount of chili peppers added into this recipe. In fact, you can completely eliminate the chili peppers required for this dish. I happen to like spicy foods so I’ve added about 2 tbsp of chopped red and green chili peppers. This is just enough to give it a little spicy kick into this recipe.
I used about 1 Tbsp of Knorr Liquid Seasoning to give it some added flavor. However, you can adjust the amount to your taste preference.
In the coming weeks, I’ll be posting several variations of different sisig recipes. Stay tuned!
Enjoy the recipe and watch the video!
Pork SisigPrint This
- Pork Belly 1 Pound
- Water 10-12 Cups
- Pork Cube 1 Piece
- Black Peppercorns 1 Tbsp
- Bay Leaf 1 Piece
- Liquid Seasoning 1 Tbsp
- Onion 1 Piece
- Garlic 4 Tsp
- Red/Green Chili Peppers 2 Tbsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Mayonnaise 3 Tbsp
- Slice pork belly into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
- In a pot, add water, black peppercorns, pork cube, bay leaf, and pork belly. Boil for 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Once pork belly is cooked, set aside for 5 minutes and let it drain excess water.
- In a pot, pour enough oil for deep frying. Let it heat up to medium high heat.
- Deep fry pork belly until it turns light golden brown.
- Once pork belly turns light brown, take it out and chop into small cube pieces. Set aside.
- In a heated pan, pour 1 tbsp of oil. Saute onion and garlic for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add chopped pork and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add chopped chili peppers and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add liquid seasoning and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add mayonnaise and stir fry for another 1 minute.
- (Optional) Top off with egg and calamansi on the side.
What is the original pork sisig recipe made of?
The original recipe prepared the meat by grilling pigs ears and then chopped into small pieces seasoned with vinegar and calamansi. It is then mixed with chopped onions and chicken liver. This dish is usually served on a hot sizzling plate.
Is mayonnaise really needed for this recipe?
No not really. You can completely skip this ingredient if you want.
These days there are several different variations of the sisig dish. I’ve seen sisig cooked with different ingredients such as pork crackling, ox brains, eggs, pork or chicken liver, tofu, tuna, or squid.