This Philippine Paella recipe shows us how much of an influence the Spanish had on Filipino cuisine. Besides that, this dish is beyond amazing.
The Philippine Paella recipe is part Spanish and part Filipino, as it is made with rich coconut milk with hard-boiled eggs as garnish. This was a special dish in the Philippines, as it wasn’t served at every party. However, it was served at the special ones. As you can see from the photos, you know why!
Check out the Philippine Paella recipe below!
- 4 cups jasmine rice
- 1 cup sticky rice
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Spanish onion, minced
- 14 oz. chorizo, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups clam juice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 lb. manila clams (about 12)
- 1 lb. mussels (about 12)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb. head-on prawns (about 6)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallions
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Combine the rices together and then rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1/4 cup of oil.
- Add in the garlic and onion and cook until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer them to a blender and puree until smooth.
- In a paella pan, heat 1/2 cup of oil over medium-high.
- Add in the chorizo and cook until golden, about 5-7 minutes.
- Move the chorizo to a plate.
- Add the rice to the paella pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the reserved garlic puree, tomato paste and paprika. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add in the stock, clam juice and coconut milk and cook until the rice is slightly tender, about 35 minutes.
- Add in the clams and cover. Cook for 10 minutes or until the clams begin to open.
- Add in the mussels and cover. Cook about 5 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Now wipe the skillet clean and heat the remaining oil over medium-high and add the prawns.
- Cook the prawns until pink and cooked through, turning once, about 3 minutes.
- To serve, top the paella with prawns, scallions, eggs and cilantro.