Pepper steak is one of my favorite dishes to cook. It is quick and easy to prepare. The tender and moist beef covered in brown sauce makes this dish super delicious!
You can use any kind of beef for this dish. In this recipe, I added baking powder into the marinate to tender the beef. This is the secret to making any kind of beef super tender and juicy.
The cooking method for this recipe is similar to the Chicken and Broccoli dish I’ve posted. It is a two step cooking method. We deep fry the meat and vegetable for just a few minutes. This is to cook the beef quickly and seal the juice inside. The bell pepper and onion are also deep fried for about a minute so that they turn out with a crunchy texture.
We then transfer the meat and vegetable into boiling water and let it blanch for about 30 seconds. We do this to take off any excess oil from deep frying.
Brown sauce is the base sauce for this dish which I’ve posted the recipe and video below on how to make the brown sauce.
Enjoy the recipe and watch the video!
Pepper SteakPrint This
- Beef 1 Pound
- Green Bell Pepper 1 Piece
- Onion 1 Piece
- Cornstarch Mixture (1 Tbsp Cornstarch/1 Tbsp Water)
- Water 1 Cup
- Salt 1 Tsp
- Garlic Powder 1 Tsp
- White Pepper 1/8 Tsp
- Baking Soda 1/8 Tsp
- Cornstarch 1/4 Cup
- Oil 2 Tbsp
- BROWN SAUCE (This brown sauce recipe yields about 2.5 cups of brown sauce. You will only need 3/4 cup of brown sauce for this recipe)
- Low Sodium Chicken Stock 2 Cups
- Light Soy Sauce 3 Tbsp
- Sugar 3 Tbsp
- Cooking Wine 2 Tbsp
- Oyster Sauce 2 Tbsp
- Hoisin Sauce 1 Tbsp
- Dark Soy Sauce 1 Tbsp
- Sesame Oil 1 Tbsp
- Green Onion 1 Root
- Ginger 1 Tsp
- Garlic 1 Tsp
- White Pepper 1/8 Tsp
- Cut beef into thin slices.
- Chop bell pepper and onion into bite size pieces.
- Combine marinate ingredients (water, salt, garlic powder, white pepper, baking soda, cornstarch, oil). Add beef and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat up two pans. One pan with oil and the other with water.
- Once oil is hot, deep fry beef for 2 minutes. Stir to break up beef pieces.
- Add bell pepper and onion. Fry for an additional 1 minute.
- Take out beef and vegetable and set on a strainer to drain excess oil.
- By now the other pan should be boiling with water. Blanch beef and vegetable for just 30 seconds and then take it out of the water. Let it drain.
- In a heated pan, add 3/4 cup of brown sauce. Let it boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture. Stir until sauce thickens.
- Add beef and vegetables. Stir until well covered with brown sauce.
How To Make Brown Sauce