If you are looking to keep it gluten free, but you still want to enjoy a special treat then this is the recipe for you. This Palitaw recipe gives you coconut dumplings, which sounds amazing just typing it!
Of course, there are different versions of this recipe, but this palitaw recipe gives you dumplings that are firm to the bite, but chewy. Some versions will give you a soft and moist dumpling. If you want that, you might want to flatten out the dough a little bit more. However, if they are too thin, it might tear apart the dumplings.
Regardless of how you make this palitaw recipe, you will want to make sure to add on the sesame seed, sugar and coconut topping. These toppings are why you will fall in love with palitaw, we guarantee it! Check out the palitaw recipe below, which makes about 16 to 20 dumplings!
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup water
- 1½ cups grated coconut
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Knead the rice flour and water in a large mixing bowl until you make a smooth dough. You will know when it’s ready once it holds together and separates cleanly from the bowl.
- Make sure your hands are floured and pinch off about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball.
- Flatten the dough into a patty, which is about 2 to 3 inches in diameter and about 1/4 inch thick.
- Set the patty aside on a dry plate and continue to do this with the rest of the dough.
- In a small bowl, place the grated coconut.
- In another small bowl, mix together the sugar and toasted sesame seeds.
- Bring the 2 quarts of water to a boil in a pot.
- Once the water is boiling, add in the dumplings, two to three pieces at a time to prevent them from sticking to each other. Do not overcrowd the pot.
- Boil these dumplings until they puff, turn just a little translucent and float to the top, which is about 1 to 3 minutes.
- Scoop out the dumplings and drain.
- Repeat those steps until all the dumplings are boiled.
- Roll the cooked dumplings in the coconut and then sprinkle with the sugar and toasted sesame seeds mixture.
- You can enjoy these warm or at room temperature.