Chinese spring rolls are a very common item on menus, but lumpia is the Filipino version of that restaurant favorite. Lumpia is a highly addictive finger food, which are stuffed with veggies and meat. They are normally made in mass quantities and usually served fried, but this is a healthy take on the norm.
Lumpia is influenced by the Vietnamese fresh rolls, but they give you all the delicious flavors of the Philippines. And since they aren’t fried, you don’t have to worry about indulging. This recipe is also gluten free, so even more of a reason to bookmark this page!
For this recipe, it is simple and a matter of cooking up the filling and stuffing thin rice papers full of the mixture. With summer approaching, this is a great sane to enjoy outside. It is light and healthy, but packed with flavor!
Check out the lumpia recipe below!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (1 cup), finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves (1 tbsp), minced
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce (wheat free soy sauce)
- Pinch of salt & pepper to taste
- 15 dried rice paper wrappers
- 1-2 cups lukewarm water
- Optional: sweet chilli dipping sauce
- Pre-heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Once heated, add in the oil, onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Now add the poek, carrots, 1/4 cup green onions, water chestnuts and soy sauces.
- Let this cook for 8-10 minutes or until pork is cooked through.
- Once done, remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in 1/4 cup green onions, salt, pepper and toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, fill it with lukewarm water.
- Dip the rice wrappers (one sheet at a time) into the water for a few seconds. Do this until the wrapper softens. Once done, lay the wrapper flat on a clean, damp towel.
- In a wrapper, place about 2 tablespoons of the filling toward the one-third of the wrapper. Fold the 2 sides inward over the filling. Then seal the edges with more water and place on a plate with the seam side down.
- You will repeat these steps until all the filling has been used.
- Once done, serve immediately. You can choose to with a sweet chili dipping sauce.