We are giving you some Filipino-inspired tacos today, as the recipe for today are these Lechon Kawali Tacos, which are giving us so many good vibes just looking at them! Check out the Lechon Kawali Tacos recipe below!
Lechon kawali happens to be a crispy pork belly that has been deep-fried in a pan or wok. So, this isn’t the healthiest of recipes, but the flavors are amazing. That is the whole point of a taco, right? Check out the Lechon Kawali Tacos recipe here!
- For the pork:
- 2 lbs pork belly
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup soy sauce, plus more for basting
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic, cloves separated but skin on
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- For the quick-pickle atchara:
- ½ cup cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, sliced or minced
- 2 serrano chili, thinly sliced
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- For the rest:
- Crema or sour cream to serve
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Corn tortillas
- To begin, add water, pork belly, bay leaves, garlic soy sauce and black pepper into a large pot.
- Bring this to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Now put the cooked pork belly onto a tray with a rack and pat it dry.
- You need to allow the pork belly to cool and chill in a fridge for at least 2 hours.
- During this time, make the pickle. To do this, combine all of the ingredients for the pickle in a bowl and then transfer it into a jar and chill in the fridge.
- Once the pork belly has chilled, slice the skin down the middle and brush all over with the soy sauce.
- Now rub coconut oil all over.
- Bake this at 400°F until the skin is very crispy and crackly.
- Once done, you are ready to serve. Slice the lechon into bite-size pieces and place on top of a corn tortilla along with the atchara, crema and cilantro.