Leche flan is a popular dish served for special occasions in the Philippines. This caramel custard recipe will definitely not disappoint. You can check the leche flan recipe below!
While there are variations of the leche flan in Latin America, the Filipino version is much richer. This is fine, as the caramel custard is normally served during the holidays or on special occasions. And who doesn’t love letting it loose and eating a little more unhealthy during the holidays?
Check out the leche flan recipe right here!
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 10-12 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk (or use regular milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small pot, add in the sugar and water and turn heat on high.
- Stir thoroughly until the sugar dissolves and it turns into a liquid caramel.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla using a hand blender.
- Now spread the liquid caramel evenly on the bottom of your flan mold.
- Wait for five minutes until the liquid caramel hardens.
- Using a fine sieve or strainer, pour the egg yolk mixture on top of the caramel in the mold.
- Put the mold into a roasting pan and add hot water until it reaches halfway up the side of the mold.
- Bake the flan for 40-50 minutes, or until flan is firm.
- Let the flan cool and then run a knife around the mold and turn it upside down onto a serving plate.
- The caramel mixture should be flowing over the top of the flan.