General Tso’s Chicken is a popular dish in many Chinese restaurants in the US. Deep fried bite size chicken covered in sweet and tangy sauce makes this dish absolutely delicious.
I’ve tasted General Tso’s chicken from various Chinese buffets and restaurants. Each restaurant has its own way of cooking this dish. This recipe I’ve followed from a local Chinese restaurant who were nice enough to show me how they cook this popular dish.
Notice on my ingredients that you will need brown sauce to make the main sauce for this recipe. I’ve provided you a video of how to make this brown sauce along with the ingredients. If you are into stir frying then you will use this brown sauce a lot. This is the same sauce used for beef/chicken with broccoli, pepper steak, and other stir fry dishes.
Lastly, if you prefer a less sweetened sauce just simply decrease the quantity of sugar that is being mixed into the sauce.
Enjoy the recipe and watch the video!
General Tso's ChickenPrint This
- Chicken Breast 1 Pound
- Cornstarch Mix (1 Tbsp Cornstarch/1 Tbsp Water)
- Egg 1 Piece
- Salt 1/2 Tbsp
- White Pepper 1 Tsp
- Garlic Powder 1/2 Tbsp
- Baking Soda 1 Tsp
- Cornstarch 1/3 Cup
- Oil 2 Tbsp
- General Tso's Sauce:
- Sugar 1/2 Cup
- Vinegar 4 Tbsp
- Sriracha 1 Tsp
- Brown Sauce 1 Cup
- **How To Make Brown Sauce (This brown sauce recipe yields about 2.5 cups of brown sauce. You will only need 1 cup of brown sauce for this recipe)
- Low Sodium Chicken Stock 2 Cups
- Light Soy Sauce 3 Tbsp
- Sugar 3 Tbsp
- Cooking Wine 2 Tbsp
- Oyster Sauce 2 Tbsp
- Hoisin Sauce 1 Tbsp
- Dark Soy Sauce 1 Tbsp
- Sesame Oil 1 Tbsp
- Green Onion 1 Root
- Ginger 1 Tsp
- Garlic 1 Tsp
- White Pepper 1/8 Tsp
- Slice chicken breast into bite size pieces.
- Combine batter ingredients (egg, salt, white pepper, garlic powder, baking soda, cornstarch, oil). Add chicken and mix well.
- Combine brown sauce, sugar, vinegar, and sriracha to make General Tso’s sauce.
- Deep fry chicken pieces until color turns golden brown. Set aside.
- On a hot pan, add sauce and let it boil. Once boiling, add cornstarch mix and stir until sauce thickens.
- Add chicken into the sauce. Mix until chicken pieces are well covered with the sauce.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
How To Make Brown Sauce