Who doesn’t love meat on a stick? That is why this Filipino barbecue chicken skewers recipe is the perfect dish to make, as it will be loved by everyone. With that being said, it is a dish that will take some time to make, so no quick and easy fix on this dish!
Why does it take so long to make these Filipino barbecue chicken skewers? Well, you need to let the meat marinate for at least one day, so you need to prepare ahead if you plan on cooking this dish. However, the flavors will be worth it, as they are a combination of sweet, salty and tangy and who doesn’t like that combo?
Check out the Filipino barbecue chicken skewers recipe below!
- 2 1⁄2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup banana ketchup
- 2 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Sprite
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Crispy garlic, for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, banana ketchup, pepper, Sprite, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, sugar, and salt.
- Add in the chicken and toss to combine.
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate overnight.
- Now light a grill to warm it up.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, reserving the marinade, and brush with oil.
- Turns the skewers as needed.
- Brush with the reserved marinade until the chicken is charred and cooked, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer the skewers to a serving platter and garnish with the scallions and crispy garlic.