If you need to find a quick and easy recipe that everyone will enjoy, this chicken with mushrooms recipe is your answer. Besides being so quick and easy, it will also leave everyone wanting more.
If you frequent Chinese restaurants, this chicken with mushroom recipe is very similar to what you would find in one of those. While it is chicken with mushrooms, they also call it Moo Goo Gai Pan in Chinese restaurants and buffets.
When we make this recipe, we like to marinate the chicken for at least 10 to 15 minutes before cooking. While we enjoy it this way, it is not a necessity and you can skip this step. Marinating allows the meat to have an even more powerful flavor. The marinade also includes the cornstarch, which allows the chicken to seal in the juices and keep the meat tender and moist.
For this dish, it is all about quick stir frying. You do not want to overcook the chicken or vegetables. You will be cutting the chicken into thin slices. This allows you to quickly cook the meat in just a few minutes.
Check out the recipe and video of the chicken and mushroom recipe below!
- Chicken Breast 1 Pounds
- Mushroom 2 Cups
- Carrot 1 Oz
- Napa Cabbage 3 Oz
- Snow Peas 1 Oz
- Green Onion 1 Tbsp
- Garlic 1 Tsp
- Low Sodium Chicken Stock 1 Cup
- Shaoxing Cooking Wine 1 Tbsp
- Salt 3/4 Tbsp
- Sugar 1/2 Tsp
- White Pepper 1/8 Tsp
- Sesame Oil 1 Tsp (Optional)
- Salt 1/2 Tsp
- Pepper 1/8 Tsp
- Garlic Powder 1/4 Tsp
- Water 1/4 Cup
- Cornstarch 2 Tbsp
- Oil 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch Mixture (1 Tbsp Cornstarch/2 Tbsp Water)
- Cut the chicken breast into thin slices.
- In a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients (salt, pepper, garlic powder, water, cornstarch and oil).
- Add in the chicken and marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a pan, heat the poil and stir fry chicken for 3-5 minutes (or until 80% cooked).
- Set chicken aside.
- In the same pan, stir fry the mushrooms, napa cabbage and carrots for 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and stor fry for 1 minute.
- Now add in the snow peas and chicken and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the salt, cooking wine, sugar and white pepper and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in the low sodium chicken stock and bring it to a boil.
- Add in the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens.
- For added flavor, you can add in sesame oil, but this is optional.