I love broccoli dishes. Previously I posted a recipe for beef with broccoli. It is one of my favorite recipes to cook.
This time I’m going to show you how to cook chicken with broccoli the way restaurants do it. This is exactly how they cook chicken with broccoli just like the takeout dish in many Chinese restaurants. First, I want to thank our local Chinese restaurant for letting me in to their kitchen and watch how they cook this dish.
This recipe is easy and really quick to cook in just about 7 minutes total cooking time. You will need two pans heated up at the same time as you need to have hot oil and boiling water going at the same time.
You might wonder why we deep fry the chicken and vegetable. I was wondering the same thing when I first saw this being done at the Chinese restaurant. There is a reason to this madness. Cooking the chicken this way quickly cook and seals the meat keeping the chicken moist and tender. Moreover, deep frying the broccoli for a minute will turn it crispy.
Blanching the chicken and broccoli after deep frying is an important step as this washes away most of the oil. Between the deep frying and blanching, this only takes about 3.5 minutes.
After the deep frying and blanching, it is just a matter of heating and thickening the brown sauce. Then mix the chicken and broccoli into the sauce.
Note: I’ve also provided a video on how to make the brown sauce. The local restaurant that I went to was kind enough to show me how to make this brown sauce. This can be used for many stir fry dishes such as Pepper Steak, General Tso Chicken, and Lo Mein.
Enjoy the recipe and watch the video!
Chicken With BroccoliPrint This
- Chicken Breast 1-2 Pounds
- Broccoli 3 Cups
- Carrot 1/4 Cup
- Salt 1/4 Tsp
- Garlic Powder 1/8 Tsp
- Cornstarch 1 Tbsp
- Water 2 Tbsp
- White Pepper 1/8 Tsp
- Cornstarch Mixture (1 Tbsp Cornstarch/2 Tbsp Water)
- BROWN SAUCE (This brown sauce recipe yields about 2.5 cups of brown sauce. You will only need 3/4 cup of brown sauce for this recipe)
- Low Sodium Chicken Stock 2 Cups
- Light Soy Sauce 3 Tbsp
- Sugar 3 Tbsp
- Cooking Wine 2 Tbsp
- Oyster Sauce 2 Tbsp
- Hoisin Sauce 1 Tbsp
- Dark Soy Sauce 1 Tbsp
- Sesame Oil 1 Tbsp
- Green Onion 1 Root
- Ginger 1 Tsp
- Garlic 1 Tsp
- White Pepper 1/8 Tsp
- Cut chicken breast into thin slices.
- Combine marinate ingredients(salt, white pepper, garlic powder, water, cornstarch). Add chicken and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat up two pans. One pan with oil and the other with water.
- Once oil is hot, deep fry chicken for 2 minutes. Stir to break up chicken pieces.
- Add broccoli and carrots. Fry for an additional 1 minute.
- Take out chicken and vegetable and set on a strainer to drain excess oil.
- By now the other pan should be boiling with water. Blanch chicken and vegetable for just 30 seconds and then take it out of the water. Let it drain.
- In a heated pan, add 3/4 cup of brown sauce. Let it boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture. Stir until sauce thickens.
- Add chicken and vegetables. Stir until well covered with brown sauce.
- Add sesame oil and stir for 30 seconds.
How To Make Brown Sauce