Pineapple lovers unite for this recipe today! We are sharing this Chicken in Pineapple Sauce recipe, which means we are sweetening things up on this Tuesday!
For Filipinos, this dish is often referred to as Chicken Hamonado. We are going with the simple name and calling it what it is: Chicken in Pineapple Sauce! You won’t be disappointed though, regardless of what you are calling this dish.
Check out the Chicken in Pineapple Sauce recipe below!
- 3 lb (1.3 kg) chicken pieces of your choice (thighs, drumsticks or wings)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp (25 g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 (14-oz [398-ml]) can pineapple chunks with juice
- Salt, to taste
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Combine the chicken pieces with the fish sauce, lemon juice and pepper in a large bowl. Toss these ingredients to combine.
- Now cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Once the chicken is refrigerated, remove it and drain the chicken and discard the marinade.
- Using a Ditch oven or heavy-bottomed pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add in the garlic and onion and saute until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Now add in the chicken and cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Then add in the pineapple juice, sugar and soy sauce.
- Bring the pan to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Cover the pan and let the dish simmer until the chicken is almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Now add in the pineapple chunks with juice and continue to simmer until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Before serving, season to taste with salt.
- Serve the dish with steamed rice.