The joy of cooking is allowing yourself to mix things up and try different recipes. Bistek Tagalog is a classic Filipino dish, but we are mixing it up today. Check out the chicken bistek recipe below.
For the Bistek Tagalog, we normally use beef slices. Instead of the beef slices, we are going to be using chicken parts in this recipe. They both have very similar ingredients and procedures, but the chicken gives it a leaner feel to it. Check out the chicken bistek recipe here!
- 3 pounds chicken (legs, thighs or whole) cut up into serving parts
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 to 4 peppercorns, cracked
- juice of 2 lemons
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons liver spread
- salt to taste
- To start, wash the chicken and drain well.
- Then combine the chicken, onions, garlic, peppercorns, lemon juice and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Now massage the marinade into the meat and then marinate in refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Take chicken out of refrigerator and drain the chicken and squeeze any excess liquid. Reserve the marinade and aromatics.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Then add in the chicken and reserved onions and garlic from the marinade. Cook this, stirring regularly, for about 7 to 10 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned and juices run clear.
- Now add in the reserved marinade and water and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat, cover and continue to cook for about 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced.
- Now add in the liver spread and stir to dissolve.
- Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Now season with salt to taste and garnish with sliced onion rings, if desired, before serving.