Are you looking for a Filipino chicken recipe that anyone could cook? This chicken afritada recipe is the answer you need, as anyone can cook this in just 30 minutes. If you enjoyed the pork menudo recipe we recently shared, this one will be just as enjoyable.
The trend is using a pressure cooker to make meals now, so this is a perfect recipe to make some Filipino stew. With the pressure cooker, it allows the meat to get extra tender, which is always great in a stew. With that being said, that does not mean you have to use a pressure cooker or Instapot to make this chicken afritada recipe. You can cook this in a regular pot with the same ingredients. However, you will need to add an additional 15-20 minutes to the cooking time.
In the video, you will see that the chicken is sauteed with the onions and garlic before pressure cooking. However, this is an optional steap. You do not have to saute them together first, but it is highly recommended to do this step. This tends to make the chicken taste even better.
- Chicken 1-2 Pounds
- Potato 1 Piece
- Carrot 1 Piece
- Bell Pepper 1/2 Piece
- Green Peas 1 Cup
- Tomato Sauce 8 Ounces
- Water or Chicken Stock 1 1/4 Cup
- Onions 1 Piece
- Garlic 4 Cloves
- Dried Bay Leaves 2 Pieces
- Ground Black Pepper 1/4 Tsp
- Salt 1/4 Tsp
- Sugar 1 Tsp
- Oil 4 Tbsp
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Cube the potato, carrots, and red bell pepper.
- In the pressure cooker, heat oil and saute garlic, onions, and chicken.
- Add tomato sauce, water, dried bay leaves, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Mix the ingredients.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- Add potato, carrots, red bell pepper, and green peas. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.