When it comes to Filipino food, chicken afritada is a classic dish. We can now spice it up a little bit, as we added some cheese and created this cheesy chicken afritada recipe!
This is a richer version of the classic dish. We added some cheddar cheese to this one and the combination of the cheese and the vegetables made for an awesome sauce. This is a twist that is definitely worth the risk, if you are worried about messing with a classic dish.
Check out the cheesy chicken afritada recipe below!
- 2 ½ lbs. chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 large baking potato, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a cooking pot, heat the oil.
- Now pan-fry the chicken for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Once done, remove from the pot and put on a clean plate and set aside.
- With the remaining oil, saute onion for about 20 seconds.
- Then add in the garlic and saute until the onion softens.
- Now add the chicken back into the pot and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken broth into the pot and let it boil.
- Cover the pan and continue to cook using medium heat for 40 to 45 minutes.
- At that point, add in the potato and carrot and stir. Cook this for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Then add in the bell pepper and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Now season with salt and ground black pepper.
- This is where you would add in the cheese. Stir in the cheese and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve!