Calamansi chicken is a great recipe to try out, as it will give you some amazing tasted chicken. It comes packed with a citrusy, zesty flavor! Of course, this dish was inspired by the Chinese dish of orange chicken, so if you are a fan of that, then you are going to be a fan of this calamansi chicken recipe.
Like orange chicken, you are going to want to make sure you have some rice to serve this over. You can serve it over lettuce, but who wants to save carbs like that? Check out the calamansi chicken recipe below and let us know what you think!
- 15 pieces lollipop chicken
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 pcs egg whites
- 4 tablespoons cooking wine
- 6 tablespoons rice flour
- Cooking oil for frying
- Calamansi sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 15 pcs calamansi, juiced
- 3 lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light chicken stock or water
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 2 sprigs of spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed into 2 tablespoons of cold water
- In a mixing bowl, toss the chicken with the soy sauce and wine and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, whip together the egg whites until just frothy. Once done, whisk through the rice flour.
- In a deep frying pan, heat the cooking oil.
- Dip the chicken into the batter and shake off any excess.
- Add the chicken to the cooking oil and fry for around six minutes, turning after three minutes. Cook until the chicken is lightly brown all over. Then drain any excess oil.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegar, calamansi juice, salt and stock to a boil.
- Add in the carrot and spring onion and toss until the vegetables are softened.
- Now stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook for about one minute until it is thickened.
- Slice the chicken and arrange it on top of either shredded lettuce or rice.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.