We have a Filipino treat for you today. This is a Filipino rice cake to have as a snack or dessert, as we give you the Bibingkang Malagkit recipe! You will definitely be sharing this one, or maybe keeping it to yourself to enjoy it all alone!
I mean, who wouldn’t love a cake that has a rice base and a coconut caramel topping? Yeah, that’s what we thought! The topping alone is enough to enjoy this recipe, but you have to be patient when making it. It will take some time to thicken up, so allow for that time.
Check out the Bibingkang Malagkit recipe here!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or melted butter
- 1 pandan leaf, optional
- 6 cups coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups glutinous rice, washed and drained well
- 1 1/2 cups water
- To start, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a 5 x 8 baking dish with coconut oil or melted butter and then set aside.
- Now use a wide, non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. In the pan, combine 4 cups of the coconut milk, 1 cup of the brown sugar and salt.
- Bring this to a simmer, as you will continue stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- If you are using the pandan leaf, tie it into a knot and add it into the coconut milke/sugar mixture.
- Now add in the rice and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- If you used the pandan leaf, remove it and discard.
- Now add in water, but in 1/4 cup increments and continue to cook, as you stir it regularly, for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and the mixture is very sticky and thick.
- Using a non-stick pan over medium heat, combine the 2 cups of coconut milk and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar.
- Cook this combination, stirring occasionally, until very thick, but spreadable.
- Now transfer the cooked rice into the baking dish and flatten it evenly.
- Then spoon the coconut caramel topping over the rice and spread it across the top until it is completely covered.
- Bake the cake for about 15 to 25 minutes or until the topping is firm.
- Raise the temperature to 375 F and continue to bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is golden.
- Once it’s golden, remove from oven and allow the cake to cool before slicing into it!
Source: Kawaling Pinoy