Sometimes we all just want to make dinner and not put any real effort into it, right? This is the perfect dish for that, as even the worst cook out there could screw up this Beef Nilaga recipe. It’s a classic Filipino dish that will leave your stomach wanting more of it!
Beef Nilaga translated means “boiled beef” and that is pretty much what this recipe is all about. Basically you are boiling the beef with some vegetables of your choosing and the end results is beyond amazing. This stew is perfect for any kind of night, as it gives you that comfort food we are all craving sometimes.
Check out the Beef Nilaga recipe here!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 kilo beef, (use beef cubes)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons patis, plus more to serve
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 kilo potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1 small head cabbage
- 1 bunch green beans
- Calamansi, to serve
- Siling labuyo, to serve
- Using a pressure cooker, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Then add in the onion and lightly sauté.
- Once sautéd, add in the beef chunks, water, patis and peppercorns.
- Now turn the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. During this time, remove any scum that may rise to the surface.
- Once it is boiling, you will want to cover and lock the lid on the pressure cooker.
- Lower the heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer for 45 minutes, or until the beef is tender.
- At that point, release the pressure from the cooker before unlocking and removing the lid.
- Now add in the potatoes and bring the mixture back to a simmer and allow it to cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Once they are tender, add in the cabbage and green beans and cook until tender.
- It is ready to serve with steamed rice, patis, calamansi and siling labuyo on the side.