When some people hear goat meat they cringe in disgust. Because of that, this Beef Kaldereta recipe might not be for you. However, that does not mean you can’t try making it, but substituting out the protein for something else. Check out the Beef Kaldereta recipe below!
This Filipino dish is very popular during parties and holidays. You would traditionally use goat meat for the stew, but you can always substitute it out for beef, chicken or pork. Since this is a stew, you can feel free to add in more vegetables that you prefer, or take out the ones you are not a fan of. Either way, this dish will leave the meat so tender, it will be the centerpiece of the dish.
Check out the Beef Kaldereta recipe below!
- 1 ½ lbs goat meat cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup vinegar
- 6 whole peppercorns crushed
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water or more as needed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- ¼ cup liver spread
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Grated cheddar cheese, optional
- Combine the vinegar, crushed peppercorns and garlic in a bowl.
- Now stir in the goat meat and cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate in the fridge for one hour.
- While that is marinating, prepare all the vegetables needed for this dish.
- Once done, remove the beef from the marinade and let it drain for a few minutes.
- In a pan, brown the goat meat in hot oil. Only do a few pieces at a time and then transfer onto a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the onion until translucent.
- Now add the goat meat back into the pan.
- Add in the tomato sauce, bay leaf, salt, sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and cover. Let this simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the goat meat is tender. You will want to constantly stir the mixture and add more water, as needed.
- Once the goat meat is tender, add in the red pepper, potato, carrot and hot sauce and cover again. Let this simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Now add in the liver paste and green peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place into a serving plate and top with grated cheese, if using. You may also serve this with steamed rice, if desired.