Regardless of the type of cuisine you are cooking, there is comfort food in all of it. In the Philippines, the answer to comfort food is Arroz Caldo soup. Try having a bowl of this and not feeling all warm and cozy on the inside!
Sometimes comfort food can take a while to cook also, which can be a pain waiting that long. However, this Arroz Caldo recipe is quick and easy, so it is perfect for a weeknight dinner. I mean, you can get home from work and cook up this soup and be eating in a half hour. No one is going to complain about that one!
Check out the Arroz Caldo recipe below!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 pieces of ginger, sliced in thick chunks
- 2 lbs chicken (a combination of boneless, skinless thighs and breast works well), cut into bite size pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis), to taste. If you don’t have this handy, just use salt,
- to taste!
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- In a large pot, saute the onion, garlic and ginger over a medium-low heat until the onion starts to become transparent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Now add in the chicken, fish sauce and pepper.
- Stir to combine and cook for about 5 minutes, or until all of the chicken is nearly cooked.
- Add in the chicken stock and rice and stir.
- Bring this to a boil, then lower heat to simmer.
- Cover the pot and keep cooking until the chicken is very tender and the rice is fluffed and cooked, which should be about 20 minutes. Stir frequently and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Once done, take out the medallions of ginger because no one wants to be biting down into that!
- Garnish with scallions and freshly ground black pepper before serving.